Tuesday 24 February 2009

sub-cultures

I do not understand them. I was talking to my class today who deffinatly would come under the scally/chav catogorie on acount of their tracksuits, lack of education, drug use and other criminal activties. They were telling me about when some goths started on them in town and they are meeting for proper fight on saturday when each team has chance to gather a bigger army of followers. I can't quite imagain how this conversation went did they all get out their diarys? did they dicide on a proper time and place because with the amount of people involved, it will need to be well organised.

I asked why they were going to fight them, they said 'because they're goths and they called us scallies.' so I think it all boils down to the fact that the goths chose to wear predonminately black and although the scallies do too, but their fabric of choice is more sythetic black where as the goths prefere more natural fabrics. It's so stupid, its like all the people in the world who prefere buttons fighting all the people who prefere zips.

I wonder what sub-culture I am in, I like to think I'm not in one but I think everyone thinks that. I went through an adidas phase when I was about 12, and then decided that adidas was the route of all evil and quicksilver was very cool when I was about 15. So maybe I was part of a surfy sub-culture then. Not one that involved surfing obviously, a kind of watered down 'I live in a suburb of covenrtry' surf culture.

I saw a photo of my sister sarah wearing skinny jeans today, I curently don't own a pair so I wonder if that means we are in different sub-cultures? I'm not sure of my opinion on these, I remeber the first time I ever saw somone in fared jeans, I was about 10 and I thought it was riddiclus and was certain it would never happen to me, but obviously it did. and then when I was about 19 ish skinny jeans came in and I was certain that would never happen to me and it hasn't yet. but it could happen at any moment!! arrggghh! I know this because I have started to build up for and against arguments in my head and there are now 5 arguments for and only 3 arguments against:

For:
1)easier for cycling.
2)looks nice with boots.
3)everyone one's doing it so I won't stand out.
4)I think I'm the right kind of shape for them.
5)it's enevitable.

Against:
1)I may be joining a different sub-culture without knowing it and get beaten up by whatever subculture I am in now.
2)I said I'd never do it.
3)It makes your feet look big.

No comments:

Post a Comment