Sunday 26 May 2013

Giving Up

Today I have decided to give up on my new years resolution of only buying 3 items of clothing this year. I decided I would get more enjoyment out of breaking the goal than keeping it. My heart wasn't really in it.

I decided to do it in the first place because my mum said she was giving up buying clothes altogether this year because she didn't need any new ones, and I felt that I didn't need many I had a lot of winter jumpers and stuff, but I did need a few more t-shirts so that is why I decided 3 items was enough and I thought I would get all t - shirts. Then I bough a hoodie and a dress so I only had one item left to buy and that really should of been a t-shirt.

Then I bought some padded cycling shorts which I decided didn't count because they were horrible but necessary. Then the zip on my coat broke, and I also decided that instead of taking muslim appropriate clothes all the way though Europe to Istanbul on my trip that it would be better off to save on weight and wear strappy tops all through Europe and buy a couple of covering up things in turkey ready for the middle east part of our big adventure. Also right now I'm not poor enough to stick to my principles. I can do it when I have to, like once I lived on £5 a week food and bought no clothes but right now I don't have to so I'm giving up giving things up.

Other things I've given up in life are the clarinet, my MA, gymnastics and ballet and drama. Out of those things I only regret gymnastics.

This is me wearing my new coat last night:




I recently read a book called the moneyless man, about a man (Mark Boyle) who lived without money for a year, he lived in a caravan and cycled everywhere and ate stuff he grew or food that supermarkets were throwing out. He was all about swapping his skills for things, and community living and stuff. It was quite inspiring but he was a bit to into the environment for my liking. I could never do that challenge...that's quite obvious as I can even go a year without buying more than 3 items of clothes. The one thing I massively disagreed with was when he started chatting on about women and how they should get through their time of the month in a environmentally friendly way. I don't want to go a huge feminist rant .....but I'll bleed on whatever I want to bleed on thanks Mark.

Money isn't all bad, in my opinion it's actually quite a convenient way of swapping things. For example I did a mosaic workshop on in a school thursday which paid for the coat a bought on saturday. How annoying would it have been if I had to take all my mosaic stuff into the coat shop and force the woman who sold me the coat to make a mosaic with me instead of giving her the money? I don't think she'd be down with that.

Me an Joe Fred who has also read this book have been discussing what year long challenges would be interesting, I don't think we're going to try any of them any time soon but here are our ideas:

Buy clothes only from charity shops.

spend 6 hours a day outside.

make something everyday.

live with only 50 items e.g 10 items of clothes 5 items of entertainment, 7 cooking and eating implements, 1 transport device etc ect

Joe is having a no electricity party next week. There are no cameras allowed so I will be documenting the party in the style of a court room artist, and I'm going to bring along all my sculpture stuff so that anyone who wants can make a breeze block sculpture. This is Frank who I made about a year ago:




No comments:

Post a Comment