Tuesday 16 October 2012

Triathlon

My lovely husband Dan has just completed his first triathlon. Which means he paid to jump into a freezing lake swim 750 m, then cycle 31k and then run 8k up a mountain.


This is what the triathlon did to his face:





Thankfully his face went back to normal!











When he had finished this test of endurance  in the time of 3 hours 28 mins he was handed what every person in that situation needs- a complementary coaster. On one hand I admire his ability to do a race like this, but on the other hand I don't think it sounds fun. If I was doing a triathlon I would like to dry my hair after a swim in a lake and re-apply my make-up and maybe stop for a cup of tea and a nap.

I have been thinking a bit about what kind of race I could enter that I would be good at. I'm not really good at doing anything fast, I'm only good at endurance  Also I don't really have the competitive personality need for sports I'm a bit of a communist sports wise.  In year 7 I used to really annoy the boys in football by trying to always make the teams draw, even if this meant scoring home goals. I got a few like minded girls to declare they were on 'team orange' when the actual teams were yellow or red. My orange team mates had only one goal in mind  and that was to equal the score. Anyway if I was to win any race now it would have to be a 2k breast stroke swim followed by a 5k unicycle ride followed by a 1k skipping race which finished in a big house with lots of hiding places, upon finishing the skipping element of the race the competitors must find and get into the best hiding place they can. Last to be found by the judges wins. Unfortunately that race doesn't exist. My worst race would be the 100m sprint followed by a game of scrabble followed by having to do a reverse park under pressure. Dan would actually be very good at that.

On the way back from the triathlon in Snowdonia we were looking out over the coast and I said 'Every time I think England is pretty I remember we're in Wales'

No comments:

Post a Comment