Thursday 1 November 2012

Dear EDF

I recently received a letter from my energy provider EDF this is a bit of what they had to say....

"Raising prices is one of the hardest decisions we have to make; especially when the economic conditions are difficult. since cutting our prices in February  we have seen a significant increase to many of the costs we incur to buy and supply energy. We have absorbed many of these for some time but an increase to residential electricity and gas prices has now become unavoidable."

Awww bless them...don't you just feel so sorry for them?! You can just imagine the CEO tossing and turning in his sleep as he thinks about all his poor but loyal customers. In case you can't tell this is sarcasm. Dan and I have a long running battle over whether sarcasm is a sin and I once tried to give up sarcasm I lasted 21 hours and many of them I was asleep or on my own. But anyway I'm not fasting sarcasm now, so I have decided to write a reply. which is best read in a soft voice over emotional music.

Dear EDF,
I was heart broken to read about the rise in energy prices, I know you must have been battling day and night over this decision. I had no idea you had been absorbing the costs in such a selfless way for so long. I fully comprehend why you must raise the prices- this burden is too big for you to carry alone. However this leaves me with the biggest dilemma of my life....should I stay with you my lovely provider, you've kept both my house and my heart warm since the beginning of my mortgage, or are these rises too much to bear? Can I trust that you will not do this again? If you are not my provider though, who will be? Is there any energy company that can be trusted? It's like a Shakespearean tragedy...for the modern age. Oh how I wish for the bountiful carefree years of the early 2000's, but alas...this tragedy is my destiny, and I will soldier on through the pain and turmoil to face this battle with or without you. (In short that means I'll probably go on one of the comparison website and if you're not in the top 3 I'll switch.)

Yours not that faithfully,
Hannah Jones.

2 comments: