Sunday 8 January 2012

The Mighty Nokia 3310

I'm feeling a certain nostalgia for this:


11 years ago when I was 14 this was the only thing I wanted. I didn't want it for making phone calls of course, I wanted it so I could play snake on the school bus like my friend Gillian. The other side benefit was that I could text whoever I wanted without my parents knowing. I had no desire to do this before age 14 so it was invented just in time. I think a lot of things were invented just in time for me. Like the internet...I was quite a technophobe and didn't have an email address until I was 18 but who needs to use the internet before the age of 18 really? In fact I don't think under 18s should be allowed to use it. They'll only waste time on it. Anyway there was no point in using the internet for homework and stuff when Encarta 95 had all the answers to life's problems. - Oh the good old days before I knew how to copy and paste. I'd print out sheets and sheets from Encarta and cut out the paragraphs I wanted glue them to another piece of paper and draw a picture.


I miss photos two, I do love digital cameras but I feel that they have devalued photos. I liked it when you went on holiday and you had one film of 25 photos...does anyone actually need more than 25 photos of one holiday? Maybe yes if half of them have thumbs in or are just black, but that's the fun of getting photos developed, -that risk that maybe they're all rubbish. At christmas we would take a photo album with a years worth of photos to our grandparents house and sit and tell them about each picture. If they were still alive they would probabley just 'like' my photos on facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment