Wednesday 25 April 2012

You can't argue with a 4 year old

It is a bit of a shame, but it's defiantly true that you can't argue with a four year old. They know just enough to argue passionately that they're right, but not enough to realise their actually wrong.

I'm working with 2-5 year olds at the moment in a children's centre. By the end of next month I am hoping to have finished a big banner made from the work of children and parents, sewed together by me. The design has quite a number of things that it has to incorporate and at times it has been tricky. Yesterday I needed children's pencil drawings on paper that was 20 x 20cm I had pre cut a load of paper and just had to entice the children into doing some pencil drawing. I'm not expecting amazing stuff just vaguely representational drawing would do fine. I didn't really want scribbles.

The kids had a choice of outdoor play or pencil drawing....one kid choose pencil drawing and he was a scribbler. So when the other kids came back in I was really pleased that one boy said 'I want to draw a caravan' 'brilliant' I said and passed him the special square paper. 'This is not the size of my caravan' he said he then went over to get some A4 paper and said 'this is the size of my caravan' I tried to reason with him his caravan was clearly not A4, it was probably rectangular rather than square but as we all know as adults you can draw anything at any size, he didn't have to draw a square caravan just because he was given square paper.

In the end I gave in and gave him some A4 paper and he said 'that's what I wanted ages ago' he then drew a really good caravan that I can't use for the banner. : (

2 comments:

  1. You could always scan or photograph the original artwork, then scale it to fit into the square paper required and print it.

    It's kind of an ironic story, because although the 4 year old could not grasp the idea of drawing a rectangle object on square paper, you seem to have similarly missed the fact that you could re-scale and re-produce his original onto whatever size paper you want using a scanner/digital camera, computer and a printer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS. I only came here because I googled "wibble", and you're blog is high on the listings. Great nickname by the way, hehehe :)

    ReplyDelete