Friday 18 November 2011

Making Children Bleed

I made a child bleed today, not on purpose of course, I attually pride myself on the fact I have never purposly made a child bleed. Except when I was a child, but that's sort of allowed isn't it. I'm doing a mosaic project in a school. Mosaic sounds like one of those 'awww what a cute hobbie' kind of things that old ladies might do, but in attual fact mosaic artists are well 'ard. To get a good mosaic with any detail you really need to cut the tiles which invoved flicking tiny splinters of glass around the room. I pretty much spent all day kneeling glue and tiny shards of glass I cut my hands a couple of times and I also noticed a little red blob of blood forming on my tights. I had to have a bath when I got home to wash the glass off me. I felt like I'd spent the day rolling in that yellow fluffy stuff people put in their lofts.

I'm doing a residency in the school which is attually really fun, I've worked with all the children in the school making paper mosaics and now they are a bit involved in helping me make the big school mosaic. Today 6 children came to help me do some of the easier bit of the mosaic, the non-cutting part. I swept the whole floor before they came in but that doesn't really elimanate the chance of children hurting themselves. I had warned the teacher it was dangerous but she was still suprised when she had to take glass out of a child. I kind of thought it was enevitable, should that fail a risk assesment?

No comments:

Post a Comment