Friday 3 September 2010

Driving

I now have a car! It's not technically mine right now but I'm hoping the more I scratch it the less the parents will want it back. I've found the world of real life driving quite different to being a learner. I never drove with someone carrying a fish tank in the pasenger seat as a learner, and this presents a whole new set of challenges. Also it's pretty weird to drive somewhere for an atual reason, not just for the sake of driving. I think even if I have a car now for the rest of my life I will still always be a cyclist deep down. but I need to remember when I'm driving that I am not a cyclist and that I should try and keep law breaking to a minimum, I'm trying to at least follow may friend Luke's personal rule of not breaking more than one law at once, it is quite a challenge though. I've moved house to a different area of Liverpool so getting into town is a bit more challenging because there's a lot of different options, it's easy enough to set of and just somewhere in town, but to get to somewhere specific it takes a bit of forward planning. On my bike I can just ride on any road that goes west and I'll end up where I want to be eventually, but in a car it's complecated, it's not so sociablely acceptable to go down one way roads the wrong way or drive through parks or go on the pavement when there's a red traffic light.

The one big bonus of driving I thought would be food shopping, I have this thought every time I'm turning right at a major junction with no lights or helmet and a million shoping bags on my handle bars, however I recently discovered the pros of driving your shopping home are almost outweighed by the cons of shopping with a trolly not a basket. I realised that when I had pushed my trolly though the isle where you go to pay and then tryed to squize back to the bit where you put your pin number in and I got traped for quite a long time in between the trolly and the isle. My housemate Amber has never laughed so hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment