Thursday 4 April 2019

Mother's day fails.

How do you celebrate mother's day? I celebrate it by not seeing my kids or my mother, it's amazing. This year for breakfast I had two hot cross buns in bed, while watching netflix #livingmybestlife. Less amazing was being woken up at 3am by our airbnb people coming in and then being woken at 8am (which was really 7am because of the clock change) by our previous airbnb people who came to collect their suitcases.

Over time mothers day has got more and more complicated. First I would just see my mum because she lived with me when she played the role of full time mum to me. Then as she moved from full time to seasonal and casual mum work, I didn't particularly make an effort to visit her that day if I was in another city. Mother's day got shared out with Dan's mum. Normally Dan's mum got mother's day and my family more often got easter. Then I became a mum which meant I could be more demanding on mothers day. But what I really find hard about being a mum is lack of time to myself, and when I get some ... like now because Percy is in nursery and Eric's napping, I spend most of it thinking "is this the best use of my time?" So my chosen mothers day gift is time.

So we've come up with this slightly weird mothers day/fathers day tradition which suits us now in the small kid phase but we probably won't do forever. Dan takes the kids to see his mum, and I have a day to myself. It's win win, apart from for my mum who I never see on mother's day, but I see her all the time anyway.

But this is all boring context: let's get on to the fails. So I was going to have 24 hours to myself, except the clock changing time lords (who I bet are men) decided to shorten mothers day by an hour. On the Saturday evening I was doing some comedy for a fundraiser thing at my new church and I had invited my favourite refugee double act to join me. Graham and Yolav are amazing check them out here.

So they came over for tea before the gig and then Dan left to drive to the Midlands with the boys who were all ready for bedtime in their pyjamas. About half an hour after he left we were about to leave but then we couldn't because I had left my keys in the changing bag, which Dan had taken with him. Worse than this we were actually locked in the house. Now I know I can get out the window because I've been locked in before under worse circumstances, locked in the porch with both boys. That time I had to climb out of the window, run down the street, get a random old man and climb back in the window, then pass the kids out the window to a random old man.

So Dan had to come back with the keys, but as we are comedians and just fun people, of course we might as well have a go at getting out.

Here's Mike (Yolav) trying to get out.
Is that an up turned sofa bed in your porch? Why yes, and it can be yours for £20

The gig was a good laugh. It's a funny one because the first time I did it I did 30 minute of my most church appropriate material. Now each time I'm using more and more questionable stuff. This time I talked about childbirth and racism . Graham and Yolav were great they even did a hilarious completely improvised bit where they got a child on stage.



I spent mothers day doing a bit of chilling but also decorating the kids room, which is going to be space themed. It's not done yet, I want to do a mural, but it's looking very colourful and I'm glad to have rid another room of magnolia textured wall paper.



Dan and the boys arrived back on the Sunday night and I found it hilarious to discover that Dan had forgotten to take shoes for the boys, coats and trousers for Percy. They bought Percy a new pair of trousers and they went to church in their slippers! It makes me feel needed though. It's safe to say I will be in charge of the packing for our up coming holiday!

My mother's day card (Me and Percy)


Thanks for reading. x



No comments:

Post a Comment