Thursday 14 March 2013

Art, Kids and Comedy

Art, Kids and Comedy are some of my favourite things which is lucky because I teach art to kids and I am a amateur comedian. I've just given myself the amateur comedian title right now on account of the fact I have preformed comedy 6 times and I have 2 more times on the pipeline.

Kids are great, the reason is because they say funny things all the time without knowing it. Which means as a amateur comedian, you can just use the stuff they say as material, and they probably won't try and sue you. I can't wait till I have my own kids who will obviously be hilarious the whole time, and this hilarity will make our whole family rich an famous, as we tour the world in our magnificent sparkly comedy tour bus.

Last week I was teaching kids about colour mixing and I was saying how blue is a primary colour which means you can't make it you have to buy it. A kid said 'the people in the shop must know how to make it though' as if I'd just forgotten how you mix blue. I really wish I knew how they did make blue paint. I guess I could google it, but then there would be no mystery left in the world.

This week in art we have been learning about portraits, I made a PowerPoint of some famous ones from the Mona Lisa in 1503 to a portrait of the Queen by Lucian Freud in 2001. So far I have showed this PowerPoint to 3 classes of 7 to 9 year olds, and they're reactions have been very simular: Frida Kahlo's 1938 self portrait is hilarious...well she does have a mono-brow.


But the majority of the discussion was about Andy Warhols 1962 Marilyn Monroe print.



The comment made by two children in two different classes was 'I've seen this at Pontins'. When I told them that the Marilyn picture wasn't even a painting and he didn't even do it himself they were outraged and chanted 'cheater' 'cheater'. Then a kid asked why Lucian Freud had painted the queen with a crumpled face.



I have been making my own art recently... or rather I have been mocking video art through the medium of video art. Is it art? is it comedy? is it film-making at it's finest? Or is it a mental woman hoovering the face of her husband? Who can tell.  I hope it wins the Tunner prize and a Baffta, and some kind of comedy award.

http://youtu.be/n8tkFcf3VaQ

No comments:

Post a Comment