Saturday 20 November 2010

My Guide To Eygpt

As you may know I have recently made my blog public....it was always sort of public but you had to know the web address and I never said my real name on it. I kept it a bit secret because I kept thinking I might write something serious one day, and I didn't really want random people who hated me in primary school to read it. Not that I think random people who hated me in primary school have meetings together where they sit around googling me, but you never know. Now I've realised that all I write on this is silly stories from my life and I don't really care who reads it so, I have linked to facebook and therefore the world, so if you are a random person who hated me in primary school Hello! welcome to my blog : )
I would like to write this post to Dr Laura Mcgregor she isn't someone who hated me in primary school and it's always nice to know people who are in that category. She is currently trying to find out about nice 5* resorts with Jacuzzis and spars in sham-al-sheik so she can enjoy some winter sun. I went near there in 2005 and it was one of the best places I've been to so I thought I'd share some tips with her to try and persuade her to travel Hannah style.
1) start your journey in Palestine.
2) find two German traveling companions.
3) Plan to see the pyramids.
4) cross the boarded to Israel and get the bus to the southern most part.
5) Exit Israel and then have an argument with the Egyption boarder guards about visas, discover you can't get to Cairo without a visa cross back into Israel picking up some bad stamps in your passport that will forever cause you problems when traveling.
6) Spend the night sleeping on the beach coz Israel is expensive.
7) go the the visa place only to discover it's closed.
8) cross back into Egypt and go to the only place you can without a visa- the red sea.
9) find accommodation, and use your bargaining in Arabic skills to get it for £3 a night for a room or £1.50 if you take your mattress on the roof.
10) go to a restaurant where you sit on the beach between palm trees and smoke apple flavored tobacco.
11) have a day of camel trekking along the red sea, snorkeling, and tea with some Bedouins for £10. Even though a camel was sick on my friend and I got really sun burnt (it was august and I didn't wear sun tan lotion) it was still one of the top 5 days of my life ever!
12) cross the boarder back to Israel getting in to an argument with the boarder guards on the way and getting even more bad stuff written in your passport.
13) decide not to pay £7 for the bus, decide instead to hitch-hike back.
14) wait 4 hours in the desert for a lorry to pick you up and then drop you off in a random place (by that time it was night time).
15) come up with a better hitch-hiking strategy where I stand by the road and do my' poor little girl lost in the desert' face and the other two hide and then run out when a car stops.
16) Try to avoid talking about how much we love the Palestinians and volunteering in Palestine with the Jew who was kind enough to pick us up.
I think you should try all this Laura....all that 5* stuff is boring in comparison.


No comments:

Post a Comment