Monday 15 May 2017

12 days of Eric

On the first day of Eric the midwife gave to me, a tiny slimy baby.

I finished my previous blog with the baby being out. This is the story between then and now, day 12.

Day 0
4:15AM After my post birth tea and toast:
Midwife: so we'll just do the paper work and then you can go home in an hour or two.
Me: can't I stay in the hospital and sleep?

.....Later on that day

Me: I'm ready to go home now.
Nurse: well the paediatrician has to check your baby over first and she is so busy I don't even want to bother her, so you'll have to stay over night.

Day 1
Nurse: So you're all ready to go, we'll just get someone to take you to the discharge lounge.

....2 hours later

Me: how about we go for a wander and see if we can find the discharge lounge?
Nurse: no you're not allowed to do that.

About 3pm we eventually get home, 24 hours after we wanted to. Percy and Eric met and we sat in the sun in the garden for a bit, enjoying our new family.




Day 3
I tried to take their foot prints, it's such a cute gift for grandparents, if you don't think about how much a 3 day old baby did not enjoy or consent to it. Percy loved it though.

My sister spotted this on my birth notes:
Time Epidural was requested 1.47am (I'm pretty sure I was constantly requesting it) reason it wasn't given: Imminent delivery within 60 mins. But what was his time of birth? 4.15am!!


Day 4
My boobs have gone from soggy pear size to juicy melon size. Unfortunately that's just the milk coming in and they will one day go back to soggy pear.

Day 5
A new wardrobe arrived for our bedroom. This was followed by 3 or 4 days of sweat, tears, probably not blood, but there were some bruises. So far we'd survived having a newborn but adding a flat pack wardrobe that just fits into a space nearly destroyed us both mentally and physically. And we still have a shed to build.

Day 6
Went to Aldi by myself to stock up on snacks... Without a newborn baby I am just a fat person wearing jogging bottoms buying unhealthy food. I saw a couple in gym clothes buying vegetables and I really wanted to be like "I'm not a fat tracksuit wearing slob! I've just had a baby" but with or without a baby I was still a fat person buying unhealthy food wearing scally clothes.

Day 8
Went for a nice walk through Calderstones park to the ice cream parlour. I decided Eric's head looked a lot like a kiwi and showed Dan this incredible meme:



Day 11
I like to start our kids on comedy young. Percy went to his first comedy show at 6 weeks, he invented his first joke at just under 2 (the wheels on the bus go quack quack quack), he preformed this joke at a kids comedy club aged just over 2 and managed to win best joke. Eric had his first taste of comedy yesterday at the Improvathon. The Improvathon is 2017 minutes worth of improv comedy, I think thats about 33.5 hours. This year it was space themed, so Percy brought his rocket and Eric wore his space baby grow. I was tempted to go in the middle of the night, as I was up most of it anyway, but in the end we went to the child friendly bit with both the boys.



Day 12
We're half way through the 3rd packet of tiny baby nappies, there are 44 in a pack. Percy is still in nappies too, how is this sustainable?! We hope to potty train Percy ASAP.

Overall it has been a good first couple of weeks, there have been ups and downs, not really enough sleep, but it's been lovely to hold our little boy and to have lots of friends and family visit. Sometimes I think I just have babies because I'm an extrovert who likes it when people visit.

When you're trying to play it cool but your brother didn't get the memo

In tribute to Avril Lavigne 




No comments:

Post a Comment